Muhammadu Buhari was
left stranded for about 4-5 minutes when he visited David Cameron he should
have realised then while he was standing in front of No 10, that he did not
represent himself alone but the whole of Nigerians at home and abroad.
It should be explained
to him that a private visit does not involve talks on corruption, Boko
Haram,security and immigration with the British PM. It was 100% official. We
are no longer in a military dictatorship and there should be consultations
before Buhari takes actions - Be Considerate is the key.
I felt pain seeing him
standing sheepishly in front of No 10. I have stood in exactly that spot before
on a tour of Downing Street and never knew that exact spot will make me squirm
one day. I should have demanded that Buhari apologise to all Nigerians in
theUK, it was disgraceful, poorly coordinated and crass ineptitude.
The insult he came to
heap on our heads here in the UK, will take about 2 years to eradicate. I
attended a formal occasion on Monday, which is just yesterday on introducing
myself to Mr Patel, he said
“Why did your
president disgrace Nigerians in this manner?”
“He’s not the
president?”
What’s he looking for
atNo 10?
“He was on a private
visit,he’s the president-elect”
“That’s ridiculous
wasn’t he here about 8 weeks ago; why not visit no 10 then, you are not kidding
me right?”
I was thinking of a
good defence for Buhari’s foolish actions…Mr Patel was looking confused as he
was now staring hard at me.
“He..he…he had to rush
off to Nigeria”
I should have said “I
don’t know”, but whatever I said I was already on the back foot.
He smiled and walked
away, not to talk to me for the rest of the evening.
I later learned Buhari
snubbed Muslim prayer sessions to rush here to see David Cameron.
There is good reason
for Buhari to reject the embassy car, the booked embassy hotel and not inform
anyone of his shameful trip. He might not want to end up like Yar’adua and I do
respect that, but whatever the alternative arrangements made, just make sure
itis done properly.
We all have a
reputation to protect here in the UK and if it not fair for a president-elect
to ignore protocol and then end up messing things up.
Mr Patel owes me an
apology for walking off without saying first “Excuse me Bola”,but how can I
demand it, when I have not received one from Buhari himself.
I have forgiven
Buhari, he probably did not know any wiser, as I look forward to his
inauguration as the hope I have far outweighs my need for an apology at this
point in time.
Written Bola Talabi

0 comments:
Post a Comment