Smiley face

Distant Memory (Mascot of Love) Poem by Orok Duke


You were once my mascot of love,
Indispensable and untouchable –
But your essence interceded and you
Sought to rape my sanity and memory.
I will now change everything
That still holds a memory of you.
Everything I see still
Reminds me that you were here.


As the streams come together
And flow towards a mighty river,
They take up rocks of experience
And convert them into pebbles of joy:
It was never about me,
Only you.
I will start with the walls
Take our pictures off the walls
Move the chairs around
And take the window curtains down.

Our golden memories were never meant to be buried,
They were to travel along in our ferry,
But seeds dispersed early from the tree
And the rivers parted before reaching the sea.
You caught me in your net
And never gave your best,
You even took the dancing tights
You gave me on my last birthday night.
We took different paths going opposite ways,
Alone, I confronted lonesome days.


You hankered for a relief,
So I bowled for you to leave.
When you are scarified as I am,
A comforting cliché becomes a balm.
I will change everything
That holds a memory of you:
I will no more dream of you,
I will only dream of someone new –
Only of someone new.

Orok Duke
Duke Town
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment